Monday, October 13, 2014

The Book of the Dead reading response

         There are many aspects of this short story that I do not personally relate to and therefore can not fully understand what the main character is experiencing.  First of all I am not a woman and I am not from Haiti, so right off the bat our life experiences are completely different such as the environment we each grew up in both in terms of geography and culture. I have never been to Haiti so I know very little about what her life may have been like while she grew up there whether it be the kind of community she was in or the social customs practiced there. I grew up in Massachusetts and have lived there my entire life and even from just a climate perspective it is very different place. Another aspect of this short story that I can not relate to is Kha"s relationship with her father. The fact that her father has a dark and horrific past, and she was unaware until he confessed to her as a young adult is something I have never and most likely never will experience. It is something I can not personally imagine myself experiencing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment